We love celebrating Chinese new year here but like to do it the healthy way. As I am on my health kick and homemade is better for the anklebiters. I was thrilled to be asked to review the VonShef Digital Air Fryer from Domu. It’s great as we can still enjoy our favourites like chips and Chinese chicken bites but we can use a fraction of the oil needed.
I think it is so important for the little ones to learn about other cultures and experience different cuisines. They really enjoyed making dragon masks and opening the fortune cookies at the end of the meal.
Chinese chicken bites and sweet and sour sauce
- 4 chicken breasts
- 20g of plain flour – 3.5 syns
- 2 level tbs of cornflour – (3 syns)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbs of water
- Spray oil
For the Sauce
- 1 tbs of tomato paste/puree
- 1 tbs of light soy sauce
- 1 tbs of rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup (120ml) of water
- 1 tbs of apricot or pineapple jam – 2.5 syns
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Pinch of onion powder
- Chop the chicken in to chunks
- Put the flour, cornflour, pinch of salt and egg white and water to a bowl and whisk till smooth.
- Add in the chicken into the batter and coat evenly
- Spray the air fryer pan with spray oil
- Place the chicken in the air fryer and space out as well as you can , I did them in batches
- Set the air fryer for 10 mins
- Spray again over the top again and set the air fryer for another 10 mins until golden brown
- Add the ingredients for the sauce to a small saucepan and simmer until thickened.
The VonShef air fryer was so easy to use even for me , as I sometimes struggle with kitchen appliances. The instructions were clear and easy to understand. I love the design too as it’s compact enough to be left on the side , which then encourages me to use it more as you know with some appliances you can use them once then put them to the back of the cupboard and never use again.
This will be a lifesaver for me with slimming world recipes but also making sure the lttle ones are eating healthy and still having favourites foe a treat like homemade chips and nuggets. I also loved the black high shine design.
You can cook so much in the fryer too for example steak , spring rolls and even make cupcakes and roast meat. The air fryer is also reasonably priced at £57.99.
*I was gifted the air fryer in return for an honest review , all thoughts and opinions are my own.