So we are a few months in to lock down now and for a lot of us that means having the children home full time instead of in school. There have been many challenges but one major one has been what to cook for lunch and dinner to keep everyone happy.
I was recently sent some Ye Olde Oak and challenged to come up with a recipe using the sausages and whatever I had in the house. So I decided to make a sausage cheese pasta. I had all of the ingredients at home so just basically threw it all together.
Sausage and cheese pasta recipe –
- Plain flour
- Cheese 100g – and some extra grated for on top
- Milk 500ml
- Butter 50g
- One can of Ye Olde Oak American hot dogs
- Salt and pepper to taste
The first thing to do is make the cheese sauce for the pasta –
- Pour 500ml milk into a saucepan and add 4 tbsp plain flour and 50g butter.
- Turn on the heat to medium and start to whisk the mixture. Keep whisking fast as the butter melts and the mixture comes to the boil – the sauce will thicken. Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk for another 2 mins while the sauce bubbles then stir in 100g grated strong cheese.
Whilst the cheese sauce is cooking boil enough pasta for four people. When the sauce and pasta are ready – pour it all in to a pasta oven dish and mix – chop up the tin of sausages and mix in with the pasta and sauce – sprinkle the extra grated cheese on top and bake in the oven for 25 mins until crispy and golden on top.
This is such a quick and easy meal and you always have these staple ingredients at home so it’s an easy lunch or dinner. It was a winner with everyone in my house. We actually made it for our July 4th independence day dinner and Frankie helped me with this.
The sausages are so handy and versatile – there are many more meals you can make with them or just have good old hot dogs in buns. Another really easy meal to accompany a BBQ is a potato salad with the sausages chopped up and mixed in. I am a huge fan of easy meals and there are plenty you can make with these.
After a treat meal it is nice to have some snacks to watch a movie with, retro sweets are always a good option in this house!
Have you got any quick and easy recipes for me? I would love you to share them.